Tips and Basics Of Designing An SEO Friendly Website That Ranks Well
Part 1: SEO Friendly On-Page Optimization
On-page optimization includes SEO strategies that are controlled by the website owner. These strategies play a crucial role in how the search engines crawl and understand your content.
On-page Optimization Strategies Include:
- Conducting keyword research, selecting the right keywords and topics and using them in appropriate places on the page.
- Using title tags, header tags, image alt tags, and the meta description tag correctly.
- Creating a URL structure that is optimized for users and search engines.
- Creating an internal link structure, navigation, and an information architecture that helps the search engines crawl the website effectively and efficiently, and aligns with your user’s expectations.
- Creating great content that can be used to earn inbound links during off-page optimization strategies.
- Using multiple types of content such as images, videos, lists, and text.
- Creating a responsive website design that provides a great experience across devices.
- Designing a website that is visually appealing, represents your brand, and has a consistent look-and-feel.
To dive deeper into on-page optimization here are a few articles:
Part 2: SEO Friendly Off-Page Optimization
Off-page optimization refers managing the execution of the marketing and amplification of a website. This management results in earning links and social media mentions that can increase the authority of your website, resulting in an increase in SEO rankings and traffic.
Off-page Techniques Include:
- Analyzing your competition to better understand what strategies they are using to rank in the search results.
- Using keyword-rich anchor text in your inbound links.
- Earning inbound links from websites that are considered authoritative by the search engines.
- Earning links to content deep within your website.
If you want to dive deeper into off-site/off-page SEO, here are a couple articles:
White Hat and Black Hat SEO
SEO techniques can be divided into categories; white hat techniques, those that are acceptable by the search engines and are the recommended ways of improving rankings; the black hat techniques, those which are deceptive and result in penalties or being banned by the search engines.
White Hat Techniques
The above-mentioned strategies are considered White Hat and add value to a website’s SEO, provide a great website design experience, and can increase rankings, traffic, and sales from Google and other search engines.
Black Hat Techniques
These Black Hat techniques were used in the past to achieve high rankings quickly. However, the search engines have updated their algorithms to detect such techniques and are constantly using machine learning to uncover addition spam technique intended to manipulate the SERPS.
- Link farming
- Buying links
- Selling links
- Hidden content and links
- Keyword spamming
- Keyword Stuffing
- Article Spinning
- Use of the gateway and the mirror pages
- Hiding links on your website
Learn more about additional Bad SEO Tactics.